Saturday 14 October 2017

Container Series



Container Series


This blog post explores 3D objects that can be created from folding paper.  Each of the objects is shown with a pattern that can be printed, cut-out, and folded to create the object.

With the thorough instructions given in class, utilizing Rhinoceros to create the objects below was feasible.  I had an opportunity to use the following commands during completion of the assignment:
  • planarsrf
  • make2D
  • join
  • explode
  • booleansplit
  • loft
  • cap
  • rotate3D
  • rotate
  • move
  • trim
  • various shapes as well as curve-through-points
  • surface colour assignment
The greatest challenge I had was time management.  I spent approximately twice the time allotment for the weeks' homework to create the images below.  Although I enjoyed the assignment, due to the homework requirements for other classes as well as personal demands on my time, I was not able to set aside any additional time to create more 3D objects.

This first object is a ring holder and plays off the idea of an unstable tumbler that is meant to rotate once placed on a table, eventually coming to rest.  The design and colour choice is similar to a precious stone, which ties into the jewelry theme of the box.

Tilted Ring Holder
Pattern for Tilted Ring Holder


For the next object, I played off of the "twisted perspective" term used in art history for Egyptian and other civilizations that represented the human body in a twisted manner (shoulders and chest face on, but the hips, legs and face in profile).  The box below has a similar twisted look.  Since the two inner diagonal lines cross through the same point, I was concerned about whether it could be constructed without the inner surfaces conflicting.  (it can be constructed and still maintain its shape as I completed a quick model in paper to confirm).
Twisted Perspective
(view I)
Twisted Perspective
(view II)

Pattern for Twisted Perspective

The jewelry box below is a continuation of the container series.  Similar to the ring box, I chose colours of amethyst and ruby to hint at the contents inside. Below the 3D version, I included a photo of the final design constructed from card stock.


Necklace Jar
Constructed Necklace Jar
Pattern for Necklace Jar


The below box is inspired by a similar gift box that can be purchased with the exception of the shape of the body.  The boxes available on the market are not angular, but more of a tube.  I included a decorative element on the box of circles and scalloped edges.

Gift Package
Pattern for Gift Package
I really liked the bracelet that was shown as an example for this weeks homework assignment.  I created a box utilizing the bracelet as a decorative ring 2/3 of the way up the container with the remainder of the container as a star shape.

Bracelet Box
Pattern for Bracelet Box

The below box is another jewelry container, continuing the theme above.  It is smaller and more subdued than the other containers as earing are usually small less flashy pieces of jewelry.

Earring Box
(View I)
Earring Box
(View II)


Pattern for Earring Box

Although the assignment was to create objects from planes, I wanted to try a curved surface.  I find the boxy look of a completely planar surface, while suitable in many cases, fairly limiting when exploring out-of-the-box ideas.  Below is a car I tried utilizing softer forms.  The car would be possible to make from paper, but a clean seam along the curved surface would be a challenge.  

Car
Pattern for Car

No comments:

Post a Comment